ehealth digital library

Digital library of
the Tanzania
health
community

Dental Fluorosis Knowledge and Perception among Students of the Health Sciences

Shunu, D. Dental Fluorosis Knowledge and Perception among Students of the Health Sciences. Dar Es Salaam Medical Students' Journal : DMSJ, 19 (2). pp. 1-3. ISSN 0856-7212

[img]
Preview
PDF
Daniel_Shunu.pdf - Published Version
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial.

Download (2MB)

Abstract

The effect of excessive intake of fluoride is obviously seen among people in endemic areas of fluorosis in
Tanzania but people have not openly expressed what they feel about of dental fluorosis. To assess dental fluorosis perception among students of the health sciences at Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (MUHAS). A cross-sectional study among students of the health sciences at MUHAS was conducted in April 2012. A total of 40 students aged 19-28 years from different courses were involved to assess their views using a self-administered questionnaire and tables were prepared using Microsoft excel. Thirty students, which is 75% of all students interviewed were bothered by brown mottled teeth, while the remaining 10(25%) responded that having brown mottled teeth was normal to them. A total of 31(77.5%) didn’t know how to prevent dental fluorosis while 9(22.5%) had knowledge on the effect of excess fluoride so they also knew how to prevent fluorosis. Majority of the students perceived dental fluorosis as a problem while few had knowledge on how to prevent it. This shows a need to educate them about fluorosis to put them in a better position to combat this problem.

Item Type: Article
Keywords: Dental Fluorosis, Health Sciences, MUHAS, Tanzania
Subjects: Health Systems > Community Health
Divisions: Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (MUHAS)
Depositing User: Mr Joseph Madata
Date Deposited: 18 Feb 2015 08:01
Last Modified: 18 Feb 2015 08:01
URI: http://ihi.eprints.org/id/eprint/3078

Actions (login required)

Edit Item Edit Item

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year

View more statistics